While on couch rest I eventually got strong enough to start hand piecing the compass block for Just Takes 2. I got so far, then decided I could use the sewing machine to attach the longer red point. So I gather up my pieces and do that, and quite pleased with how it looks. Then I think to myself, well I can sew drunkard's path blocks by machine, so surely I can add the outer border to the compass by machine. Well, this is looking good, I say to myself...but a little skewed. Oh Oh! Oh my! Look what's happened!
I cannot for the life of me figure out what has gone wrong...why I do not have enough circle left to add the fourth border, the block is no longer laying flat, and it just awful. Its nearing dinner, and I'm so very tired. Completely fed up. I start looking through my books, and EQ, and the web, for another compass block I could use. I start thinking about all the fabric I've used to mess this up, and all the fabric I would use to make another one. Can I buy more of this red fabric? Google search "Bonnie Blue basics red". Then flop on the couch. When I go to turn out the lights for the night, out of the corner of my eye I see something in my sewing basket. I spy.....a sixth of the circle!! One that I had all hand sewn!! I didn't bring it into the sewing room, I managed to make a circle with 5 segments in stead of 6, oh geez.
Back to the hand sewing, and part machine sewing. Finally have the block looking good, fairly square, and the right size. For the centre, I decided to do something different. I've appliqued a white circle over the hole, and embroidered (stem stitch) the shape that would form the ovals. Then I made my own little design that I thought of as a sand dollar. There`s a really good feeling of accomplishment when one works through a problem block such as this.
Stitch good thoughts!